19 December 2008

Youth Novels - Lykke Li (2008)

This album was a pleasant surprise and a great treat. I'd not heard anything from or about Lykke Li when a friend suggested is to me. Upon her reccomendation, I found a copy and gave it a spin.

Three things really struck me about 'Youth Novels'; 1. Lykke Li's voice is a joy to listen to. It falls somewhere between Bjork and Duffy, and has a wonderful slow and soft vibrato. 2. The music is simple by nature, but is treated here with appropriate production (courtesy of 'Peter, Bjorn and John's' Bjorn Yttling), clean and still full and satisfying. 3. The songs occupy the space between Jens Lekman and M.I.A.

'Youth Novels' is a fun record. At times a bit bubble-gummy, but not entirely fluffy. It strikes me as odd that many times it takes a rookie to strike truth and perfection in the simplicity that veterans no longer have access to.

Highlights: My, Breaking It Up

No comments:

Post a Comment