18 December 2008

Dig Out Your Soul - Oasis (2008)

This record confuses me. I liked Oasis' first two records quite a bit. The albums they've made since then each have their highlights, but nothing that I'd give heavy rotation (as a full-length, anyway). So the new LP was released this fall and it was given a positive nod by an artist I like a great deal, so I was anxious to give the disc a listen.

Upon hearing the first couple tracks I wasn't entirely bored, but I was waiting for big one, the track that would really get me into the swing of it, but that track never came and I was left simply waiting for the album to end. When it finally did end, I felt a little relieved. The album was a disappointment after I realized that the big one wasn't to be found here.

I'll give Oasis a free pass on this one. They've done some really good work. If I do see 'Dig Out Your Soul' as a clunker, that's fine. I still have a fondness and affection for enough of their work that it won't tarnish my opinion of them.

The confusing part came when I was researching the album after my first listen. It seems that critics the world over did not share my lack of interest in this collection of songs. Even Erlewine (the-eternal-optimist) gave it 9/10. That leads me to believe that I should revisit this one in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment